Although at times we may feel like Wonder Woman or the Bionic Woman, the truth is, we’re human. We spend so much of our lives tending to the needs of the family that our own needs fall by the wayside. Now I know some mothers might be thinking, “Doesn’t that come with the territory of being a mom?” While this is certainly the truth, it doesn’t mean that mom should never find time to herself.
What to do?
If you’re like me, you’ve been at parks, recreational centers, and kid-friendly environments for so long that you have no idea where to go or what to do for rest and relaxation. Well here are some ideas you’re sure to love, right in the city of Denver.
1. Have a Spa Day – When was the last time you were pampered? Getting a massage or facial from a spa that offers treatments like Juvederm In Denver will make you feel like the queen that you are. With affordable packages and options for you to choose from, you can get treated like royalty on any budget.
2. Stay the Night in a Hotel – Do you ever find that when dad’s on duty, you feel more stressed than usual? Well instead of panicking on how dad is doing with the kids, book yourself a room and get away for the evening (or even a few hours). The Crawford or The Oxford Hotels in Denver, for instance, are the epitome of rest and relaxation. Rest on a nice comfy bed, order room service and binge watch some of your favorite shows – without interruption.
3. Talk a Walk through Botanical Gardens – Sometimes all you need is a stroll through a change of scenery to brighten up your day. If you love plant life and flowers, you’ll appreciate a nice walk through the Denver Botanical Gardens. With gorgeous flowers always in bloom, you’re in for a real experience. Sit and have lunch or just stroll throw and take in the sites.
4. Retail Therapy – Nothing cheers a girl up faster than retail therapy! You can head to downtown Denver and find a lot of cool shops to check out. There’s only one rule to this idea…. Absolutely no shopping for the kids. Buy yourself something nice, after all, you deserve it.
5. At Home Relaxation – If you can’t or don’t want to go out of the house, send the kids to dad or the grandparents for the day and just relax at home. Take a nice bath, watch your favorite movie on Netflix, read a book, and have a glass of wine.
The Importance of Me Time
“Me time” is one of those things that most moms need but don’t get the opportunity to have. While it may feel selfish at times, I’ve come to find that spending time with myself, caring for myself, makes me a better person altogether.
Here are some reasons why it’s important:
You Have an Identity – You were a person before your spouse or children ever came into your life. You had needs, wants, and interests. When you become a wife and/or a mother, those interests tend to take a back seat leaving you feeling less than fulfilled. Me time allows you to explore yourself.
You Have to Care for You – If you’re not tending to your own needs, you become dissatisfied with life which can eventually trickle into your family life. Someone who is unhappy or unfulfilled cannot be there for their families in a way that someone who feels purposeful and happy.
You’ll Value Family Time More – When you’re not inundated with responsibilities day in and day out, you can appreciate the time you do spend with your loved ones a lot more. Me time allows you to get away from the responsibilities of being a mom (or at least temporarily) and just get back to being you. When you come back refreshed and rejuvenated, you’ll find that absence certainly made your heart grow fonder.
If it’s been a while since you’ve had some time to yourself, it’s high time you call in the calvary and make plans. It may take time for you to get used to the idea of having no responsibilities, but you’ll learn to love it. Whether you go for a nice soothing facial and massage or decide to do a little retail therapy, spending time with yourself is an absolute must.